Gerda S. Panofsky, Ph.D.
- Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
Gerda Panofsky received her doctoral degree from Cologne (Köln) University in Germany. She taught and published widely and internationally on Gothic as well as 15th – 17th Italian art and architecture. In particular she wrote a book on the patronage and iconography of Michelangelo’s statue of “Christ” in S. Maria sopra Minerva in Rome. After her retirement from Temple in 1995, she studied Russian language and literature at Princeton University and St. Petersburg University, Russia. She then began publishing in Slavics, producing so far three long articles and a book on Nikolai Mikhailovich Karamzin in Germany . At present she is the sole editor of her husband’s Erwin Panofsky Habilitationsschrift on Michelangelo of 1920, which was believed to be lost and whose manuscript was re-discovered in 2012. The voluminous work will appear in Berlin in 2014.