Tyler MFA Student Handbook
The Tyler MFA Student Handbook includes a lot of pertinent information to help guide MFA students during their time at Tyler School of Art. MFA students can refer to this document for various policies, contacts and resources for any needs they may have.
Petition to Substitute for General Elective
- Prior to registering for any courses, and at least one month in advance of the start of the semester, student develops a program of study outlining their plan for all 4 semesters of the MFA degree program stating how the requested course substitutions will fit into their studies. The student will provide a rationale for how the course substitutions will benefit and fulfill the required graduate studies. *Note that only 6 credits outside of Tyler studio courses can count toward studio electives.
- The student will present the plan to their advisor and the advisor will modify or adjust as necessary.
- The advisor and student will then complete the Petition to Substitute for General Electives form.
- The form and proposal will then be reviewed by the Department Chair and sent on to the Graduate Program Director for review.
*Please note that any requests for Art History course substitutions must be approved by the Chair of the Art History department.
Graduate Student Travel Policy
The goal of the Dean’s Graduate Travel Support Program is to support graduate student travel to present their work at professional conferences. Presentations must be chosen through a selection process; non-juried forums are not eligible for this award. All of the terms and the form are here.
Career Resources for Graduate Students
Mark Kaloko, Senior Career Coach
More help for writing a resume from Inside Higher Ed.
- Life After Tyler pages
- The Corzo Center For the Creative Economy
- Dustin Kidd's Social Media Guide
- New York Foundation for the Arts (NYFA)