Architecture Program Laptop Policy
REQUIREMENTS: Effective fall 2018, laptops will be required for all students entering Tyler's Architecture programs, including incoming first-year, transfer or graduate students. Returning students are strongly encouraged, but not be mandated, to have their own laptops.
RATIONALE: Over the past two decades, the computer and its corresponding digital tools, such as laser cutters, 3D printers, and digital fabrication machines, have become an integral part of architectural pedagogy and the design studio environment. All architecture students begin working digitally in their freshman representation courses within the Architecture Foundations program. This Laptop Policy has been implemented to provide advantageous learning environments that guide students towards the acquisition of tools and skillsets that are most appropriate for the furthering of both their academic and professional journeys.
PC Laptop Specifications:
- Screen: 15” or 17”
- Processor: Multi-Core Intel i7 minimum; i9 recommended
- RAM Memory: 16 GB minimum; 32 GB recommended; Hard Drive 1 TB SSD minimum; external hard drive recommended for data backup
- Graphics Card: 4 GB VRAM minimum; more memory and performance capability recommended; MUST support OpenGL version 2, shader version 1.2 (or better)
- Wireless Card: Built-in default wireless
- Operating System: Latest version of Windows 10 Professional
- System Type: 64-bit
Mac Laptop Specifications:
- Screen: 16” MacBook Pro Retina
- Processor: Multi-Core Intel 2.6GHz -i7 minimum (i9 recommended)
- RAM Memory: 16 GB minimum (32 or 64 GB recommended)
- Internal Hard Drive: 1TB minimum; additional external hard drive recommended for data backup
- Graphics Card: Radeon Pro 5300M with 4 GB video memory minimum (Radeon Pro 5300M w/ 8 GB ram recommended)
- Wireless Card: Default
- Operating System: Latest Mac OS version + latest version of Windows 10 Professional or Windows 10 Professional; Important note for Mac users: Some software is only available on a Windows operating system that will require the usage of the Bootcamp utility or the Parallels Desktop application.
- System Type: 64-bit
Suggested Laptop Vendors:
Students and faculty of Temple University are capable of receiving certain educational discounts through particular vendors.
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is available here through Temple's office of Information Technology Services.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat Pro is available here through Temple's office of Information Technology Services.
- AutoCad, Revit, and 123D Make/Mesh Mixer app is available for download here after registration with the Autodesk Education Community.
The University offers several types of cloud storage solutions.
Software for Purchase:
- McNeel Rhino 6 or Rhino 6 for Mac Educational Version: Rhino is offered to students as a one-time download for $195. Students can keep the software post-graduation and receive discounts in future product upgrades. Here is the link to purchase.
For any questions please feel free to email Tyler IT support: firstname.lastname@example.org.