Architecture Program Laptop Policy
REQUIREMENTS: Effective fall 2018, laptops will be required for all students entering Tyler's Architecture programs, including incoming first-year, transfer or graduate students. Returning students are strongly encouraged, but not be mandated, to have their own laptops.
RATIONALE: Over the past two decades, the computer and its corresponding digital tools, such as laser cutters, 3D printers, and digital fabrication machines, have become an integral part of architectural pedagogy and the design studio environment. All architecture students begin working digitally in their freshman representation courses within the Architecture Foundations program. This Laptop Policy has been implemented to provide advantageous learning environments that guide students towards the acquisition of tools and skillsets that are most appropriate for the furthering of both their academic and professional journeys.
PC Laptop Specifications:
- Screen: 15” or 17”
- Processor: Multi-Core Intel i7 minimum; multi-thread recommended for faster rendering tasks
- RAM Memory: 8 GB minimum; 16 GB recommended) Hard Drive 512 GB SSD minimum; external hard drive recommended for data backup
- Graphics Card: 2 GB VRAM minimum; more memory and performance capability recommended; MUST support OpenGL version 2, shader version 1.2 (or better)
- Wireless Card: Built-in default wireless
- Operating System: Latest version of Windows 10 Professional
- System Type: 64-bit
Mac Laptop Specifications:
- Screen: 15” MacBook Pro Retina
- Processor: Multi-Core Intel 2.7GHz -i7 or above
- RAM Memory: 16 GB
- Internal Hard Drive: 512GB SSD minimum; external hard drive recommended for data backup
- Graphics Card: Radeon Pro 460 with 4 GB video memory minimum
- Wireless Card: Default
- Operating System: Latest Mac OS version + latest version of Windows 8.1 Professional or Windows 10 Professional Students can use the Bootcamp utility or the Parallels Desktop application.
- System Type: 64-bit
Suggested Laptop Vendors:
Students and faculty of Temple University are capable of receiving certain educational discounts through these particular vendors.
- Lenovo: Save off the regular web price and FREE shipping on all web orders.
Students go to: www.lenovo.com/shop/deals/templeu,
Faculty go to: www.lenovo.com/temple,
or contact them at 1-877-222-6426 Option 1 Ext. 6844.
- Connection 1-800-800-0019 x 33422
- CDW 1-800-367-6808
- Software House International (Please email firstname.lastname@example.org for the token and access key)
- Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is available here through Temple's office of Information Technology Services.
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Acrobat Pro is available here through Temple's office of Information Technology Services.
- AutoCad 2018, Revit 2018, and 123D Make app/Mesh Mixer app is available for download here after registration with the Autodesk Education Community.
Software for Purchase:
- McNeel Rhino 5 or 6 or Rhino 5 for Mac Educational Version: Rhino is offered to students as a one-time download for $195. Students can keep the software post-graduation and receive discounts in future product upgrades. Here is the link to purchase.
For any questions please feel free to email Tyler IT support: email@example.com.