Tenure-Track Position — Begins Fall 2017
The Crafts Department of the Tyler School of Art seeks a full-time tenure-track Assistant Professor of Crafts to teach in the Ceramics Program. The ideal candidate will be influential in shaping the future of the discipline, have a broad understanding of ceramic materials and processes, and a strong exhibition record. Candidates who can expand beyond the traditional canon of ceramics to include a broader social, political, cultural, or artistic context are particularly desirable. In addition to being an accomplished artist, the successful candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to teaching. The position requires teaching a variety of ceramics courses at the undergraduate and graduate level, as well as graduate studio and seminar courses in the larger context of the crafts and the studio arts.
Since 1935, Tyler School of Art has offered students the combination of a world-renowned faculty and the resources of Temple University. Tyler has grown from a small art school in Elkins Park, PA to encompass a wide range of programs in the study of art, design, art history, art education, and architecture on the Main Campus of Temple University. In each program, students work in small learning communities, while also benefitting from state-of-the-art facilities, a rigorous curriculum, and the life of a major research university.
Applicants must have a terminal degree or equivalent experience, and a sustained national exhibition record. A minimum of three years of full time college-level teaching experience, or the equivalent, is preferred.
To apply, please visit temple.slideroom.com to create an account and upload the following materials. Note that there is a $15.00 uploading fee for Slideroom. This helps to cover the cost of an easy submission process and technical support. If you need assistance during the uploading process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cover letter of intent
• Curriculum Vitae
• 20 examples of your work
• 20 examples of student work
• Artist statement
• Statement of teaching philosophy
• Two sample syllabi
• Three references with contact information: address, phone number, and email
Finalists must also be prepared to submit course evaluations, official academic transcripts, and three letters of recommendation.
The position begins in fall 2017 at the rank of assistant professor and salary will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Temple University is an equal opportunity, equal access, affirmative action employer committed to increasing diversity and inclusivity in both its community and its curricula. Women, people of color, and other candidates who can contribute to this goal are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please send any questions to Chad Curtis, Chair of the Crafts Department: email@example.com. Review of applications will begin on January 10, 2017.
Graphic & Interactive Design
Assistant or Associate Professor
Tenure-Track Position — Begins July 2017
The Graphic & Interactive Design program at Tyler School of Art of Temple University seeks a tenure-track faculty member who can teach practice-based courses at all levels of the curriculum while assuming a leadership role in the ongoing development of the authorship-entrepreneurial components of the curriculum. The appointment will be made at the tenure-track assistant/associate professor level. The ideal candidate for this position has professional design experience with a strong background in business practice. They should have recognition of their work in national or international design publications or exhibitions, and teaching experience at the undergraduate level. They should also be comfortable with the integration of design and technology.
Tyler School of Art has one of the preeminent graphic design programs in the US. It is known nationwide for its rigor, dedicated faculty and accomplished students and alumni. The Graphic & Interactive Design program prides itself on closely mentoring students to develop their design abilities in a demanding yet nurturing environment. Tyler’s design program prepares students to enter the design field with outstanding portfolios, a keen focus on design thinking, problem solving and image making. Students create work that is both immersive and compelling across a broad spectrum of platforms including design for the screen and for print.
The design faculty at Tyler is a dynamic team of practicing designers and educators who are unified in their commitment to the highest standard of excellence in communication design. Each has a strong focus on educating the next generation of designers for professional practice. The contribution of a new faculty member will be integral to the Graphic & Interactive Design program’s ongoing role in the training of exceptional student designers.
The following qualifications are sought in candidates for this position:
• BFA in Graphic Design/Communication Design and MFA in Graphic Design/Communication Design or related graduate degree or equivalent professional experience in the field.
• 3-5 years of professional practice in the field of Graphic Design/Communication Design.
• Must have received peer recognition in the design field: design work in design publications, exhibitions, competitions, awards/honors, books or articles published, conference papers or presentations.
• Teaching experience. A minimum of 3 years full time.
• Strong analytical and quantitative problem-solving skills.
• Interest in an entrepreneurial approach to design and the ability to integrate strategic design thinking into curriculum.
• Must be able to teach interactive courses or print courses, or a combination of both from sophomore through graduate levels.
• Preferred experience teaching and developing online courses.
• Strong skills in typography.
• Strong image-making/editing skills.
• Should have strong HTML, CSS, and HTML5 skills. Experience with responsive design. Expert knowledge of Adobe Creative Cloud software. Knowledge of CMS software. Preferred knowledge of time-based software.
• Experience with prototyping tools
• Must be dedicated to learning and adopting emerging technologies.
• Strong writing skills.
• Strong organizational and leadership skills.• Requires a strong interest in staying current with developments in the field, in both the interactive and print mediums.
To apply, please visit temple.slideroom.com to set up an account and upload your application and images to Slideroom. Note that there is a $15.00 uploading fee for Slideroom. This helps to cover the cost of an easy submission process and technical support. If you need assistance during the uploading process, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Cover letter detailing your qualifications
• CV, signed and dated
• Sample syllabi 
• Contact information for three  references
• Statement of teaching philosophy
• Detail any administrative experience
• 20 images of your work
• 20 images of student work
Finalists must be prepared to submit course evaluations for courses taught along with official transcripts. Tyler School of Art is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and is committed to increasing and sustaining its diverse academic community. The program is particularly interested in candidates who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and demonstrate a commitment to improving access to higher education for disadvantaged students. The University is also responsive to the needs of dual career couples.
Please send any questions to Professor Scott Laserow: email@example.com
Application Deadline: January 3, 2017