As a Tyler School of Art and Architecture student, you’ll have an opportunity to engage with Tyler’s community of bold thinkers and makers, Temple University’s urban Main Campus and expansive suburban campus in Ambler, as well as Philadelphia—a vibrant, diverse city for students to use their creativity and practice to activate public spaces and address society’s toughest challenges.
Temple also provides a steady source of stimulating events outside the classroom. From world-class orchestral concerts at Rock Hall and the historic Temple Performing Arts Center, to dance and theater performances at the Conwell and Tomlinson Theaters, to sporting events and popular entertainment at the Liacouras Center, there is always something exciting to do at Temple. Clubs, honor societies, Greek life and volunteer service organizations all thrive on campus and welcome the participation of Tyler students.
Below you’ll find ways to get involved at Tyler and Temple.
Living Learning Communities
Tyler School of Art and Architecture first-year students who wish to surround themselves with others who share similar interests and creative and professional passions can join one of two on-campus, residential Living Learning Communities:
If you’re looking for a more traditional university residential experience, Temple provides a range of housing opportunities for students both on- and off-campus, as well as on-campus meal plans. Learn more about the housing options and meal options.
Tyler students who wish to find the perfect balance between their passion and recreation can choose to join a student organization to deepen their engagement with their discipline, scratch a curious, creative itch or find inspiration:
- Art of Business/Business of Art
- Art History Graduate Organization
- American Institute of Architecture Students and Freedom by Design
- The Architecture Lobby
- Building Relationships in Communities
- Graduate Arts Community
- Landscape Architecture and Horticulture Association
- National Organization of Minority Architecture Students
- Pi Alpha Xi Horticulture National Honor Society
- Sigma Lambda Alpha, Landscape Architecture International Honor Society
- Tyler Ceramics Collective
- Temple Community Garden
- Temple Student Planning Organization
- Temple University Facilities Management Association
- Temple University Society for Ecological Restoration Student Association
- Tyler Fibers & Materials Studies Guild
- Tyler Glass Guild
- Tyler Printmaking Guild
Temple also provides a broad range of clubs and activities like acapella singing, ballroom dancing, snowboarding, baking and Greek life. You can discover hundreds of Temple’s student organizations via Owl Connect.
With interdisciplinary collaboration at the core of Tyler’s mission, sharing student work is a great way to inspire, encourage conversations, gain exposure to a wider audience and experience the professional side of the contemporary art world. Student exhibitions are organized in a joint-effort by faculty, students and guest curators in a number of places:
- Student Exhibitions Gallery
- MFA Exhibitions in Temple Contemporary
- Stella Elkins Tyler Gallery
- Photography exhibitions in the Student Lounge and Triangle Galleries
- Common spaces are activated with approved art installation proposals
Across Temple’s campus, the work of Tyler students can often be found in lobbies and administrative offices, among other spaces. Philadelphia also provides opportunities to network and show work throughout the city, like InLiquid and Vox Populi, as well as apply studies in the built environment through hands-on learning and projects that address modern environmental challenges within a dynamic, urban context.