Admission to the Visual Studies Program is based on a review of academic credentials and portfolio review.
- Apply to Temple via the Common Application.
- Send official transcripts, self-reported high school transcript and test scores to the Temple Undergraduate Admissions office.
- International students, please visit International Admissions.
A portfolio is required for consideration for the studio art programs and should be officially submitted via Temple SlideRoom. You must include:
- 10-20 pieces of original work
- Examples of drawing from direct observation regardless of the major you wish to pursue and should show a wide range of values and strong composition. (These drawings should not include sketchbook drawings.)
Your portfolio may include:
- Additional drawings
- Work in both black-and-white and color media
- Ceramics, design examples, fibers, glass, jewelry or metal work, paintings, photography, prints, sculpture or time-based media
Tips: A variety of media, subject matter and scale are important. Feel free to bring your sketchbooks as well as work completed in weekend or summer programs.
Please do not send portfolio materials or original work through the mail. These will not be accepted, reviewed or returned.
Applicants who submit a portfolio via Temple SlideRoom will automatically be considered for a Tyler Portfolio Merit Scholarship. If submitting more than 10 images, only the first 10 will be considered for scholarship consideration.
First-year students who wish to compete for portfolio-based scholarships must submit a self-portrait and statement of purpose as described in the scholarship application.
Tip: Once you fill out Temple’s Common Application, you don’t have to wait to schedule a meeting with the Tyler Admissions Office and a Portfolio Review. Both the Temple and Tyler application processes occur simultaneously.