Thank you for your interest in Temple University, Tyler School of Art and Architecture. The following is information pertaining to the Tyler School of Art and Architecture's registration procedures and policies for Non-Matriculating Students
Students who are not admitted and enrolled in a Temple University degree program may be able to register as a non-matriculated (non-degree) student. In order to register as a non-degree student you must submit the following:
- Copies of all previous transcripts for all post-secondary institutions you've attended (unofficial copies are acceptable)
- Temple University's Statistical Record form
- Tyler School of Art and Architecture Course Request form
- Portfolio (if seeking to register for a studio class with restrictions or pre-requisites
You must meet the following criteria in order to register as a non-degree student:
- You cannot have been previously admitted to Temple University (if so you need to apply for readmission into the last Temple school or college program in which you were matriculated).
- You cannot have been denied admission from Temple University (unless you have completed a bachelor’s degree elsewhere).
- A 2.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
- Documentation of completion of all pre-requisites for the course(s) you request.
- The course must have an open seat at the time of registration. Non-matriculated students may not register for courses until the first week of the semester.
- If the course requires special authorization the appropriate academic department must submit approval. Admissions will contact the appropriate faculty - non-matriculated students should not contact the faculty directly. Departments must approve all courses being taken for graduate credit.
- We suggest reviewing the Undergraduate CE Student Online Orientation. Tyler offerings will be updated each semester.
Students should submit all of the required forms and information to the Tyler Admissions Office. If the admissions committee (which includes department faculty) approve the request, the Admissions Office will notify the student and the Tyler Advising Office, and the Advising Office will contact the student to register them for the class.
Additional lab fees are charged for courses where materials are provided.
There will be a computer technology fee charge based on the number of credits you take.
Students can review course descriptions and availability at: www.temple.edu/courses.
If approved by Tyler Admissions to take credit bearing courses, non-matriculated students, visiting students from other institutions, and Temple students* may begin to register for courses during the first week of classes. If a matriculated student requires the class selected, and the class is full, registration may be withdrawn. This action will be taken during the first days of the new semester after the final enrollment figures are available. If this is necessary, the school will make every effort to assist the student in finding an alternative class or, failing that, refund tuition (non-matriculated and visiting students only).
Requesting Official Transcripts (when required). Transcript information is available through the Registrar's Office.
Fees and tuition are to be paid in full to the Bursar. Please visit the Bursar's Office for payment instructions.
Degree-seeking non-matriculated undergraduate students are required to apply for admission to a degree program before they complete 30 credits. Acceptance of non-matriculating credit is not guaranteed.
For students interested in applying to a graduate program: Non-matriculated graduate students who plan to apply to a graduate degree program will be advised by the department of interest as to their eligibility. Students are required to apply for admission to a degree program before they complete 9 credits. While a maximum of 9 credits may be transferable into a Tyler degree, acceptance of non-matriculating credit is not guaranteed.
*Matriculated Temple students may self-register at any time for any classes open to students at the university. For a complete list of courses that are being offered for the upcoming semester that have no restrictions, please go to https://tyler.temple.edu/tyler-courses-for-all-students.
For questions regarding the process, please contact:
Tyler School of Art and Architecture Admissions Office: